Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Apple Carmel Cookies

This cookie recipe was my favorite when I was a child. I'm not a bit fan of chocolate so chocolate chip cookies didn't score points with me. So when great grandmother dishes out these and I was in heaven! They are simple comfort food and a simple to make recipe. I entered the cookies and recipe in the 1991 Oklahoma State Fair and they won 4th place.  Not to shabby for a recipe that my granny has been making since my mom was 5 or 6.

Apple Carmel Cookies

1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup grated apples
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup butterscotch morsels (granny called these carmel chips, in the day she use to by carmel chips that they quit selling years ago and she changed to the butterscotch morsels.)

Cream together the shortening and sugar, add egg and blend well. Stir in grated apples and set aside. In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. Stir in the butterscotch chips. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet by the tablespoonfuls and bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment