Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Best Pancakes


The first vegan recipe book that I ever read was Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. That little book opened the door to a new world I never knew about - I thought vegetarian was just vegetarian. That was almost 4 years ago and now I know better. The second cookbook I read was The Compassionate Cook from PETA by Ingrid Newkirk. The proved to be a treasure trove full of simple basic recipes that we have come to love. The number one being the Pancake recipe. I did tweak it a but to accommodate our larger family. I promise you will not be disappointed - very fluffy pancakes.

Pancakes
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 to 1/2 cup soy milk (I don't know why this varies each time I make them. Just start with 1/4 cup and add the other latter if the batter is too thick.)
4 tablespoons canola oil

Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine thoroughly. In another small mixing bowl combine the soy milk and oil and combine with a wire whisk. Add to the flour mixture and beat until the batter is smooth.

Measure 1/3 cup of batter onto a hot oiled griddle or skillet.

You can add blueberries or our all time favorite vegan chocolate chips, then top with bananas and drizzled with maple syrup. YUMMY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment