Friday, May 29, 2009

Pillowcases of Memories

I'd like to share with you a doll I made from a pillowcase my great grandmother - Mildred made in the 1960's.


 She hand embroidered the Southern Belle and hand crocheted the edging. Sorry it's hard to see in this photo. She loved to crochet, do embroidery with thread and paints on pillowcases and tablecloths. She taught me to crochet when I was 9 and have been stitching it ever since.


Here is something that hardly if ever sees the light of day. They stay packed away because of their age. They were made some time in the 1920's. Below are two pillowcases that were entirely made by my grandfather's mother, Anna who came from Germany to America when she was a little girl. She did lots of tiny thread work in crochet and tatting.I haven't got a clue when the woman found time for this she had 9 children. Guess she had it easy because my great grandmother Thomas had 24 children!


Anna hand stitched the pillowcases from cotton and then she crocheted the wide 3 inch edging.

No comments:

Post a Comment