Tuesday, October 2, 2012
This is a variation of the Pumpkin Pasties recipe in The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook by Dinah Bucholz. If you ever get a chance to get your hands on this wonderful book - do so. It has some wonderful traditional English recipes that are delicious. These little hand pies are so simple to make that I had Joseph make them for our Monday baking to use for our afternoon snack.
1 homemade gluten free pie crust recipe
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
3 Tablespoons almond milk
colored sugar crystals of choice
1. Combine the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger in a small bowl. Stir to mix well. Set aside.
2. Make the pie crust. Roll out the pie crusts and cut into four-inch circles.
3. Put 1 - 2 Tablespoons of the pumpkin filling into one side of the pastry circles. Then fold over and crimp the edges with a fork to seal it. Make a couple of slashes in the tops with a sharp knife to make vents.
4. Brush the top of each with the milk and sprinkle with colored sugar of choice.
5. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or until a golden brown.